I got this recipe from a friend at work whose 2 year old son loved it! This white pizza pulls together veggies (broccoli rabe and potatoes) that I normally don’t think of with pizza but is delicious. I have even been inspired to make my own pizza dough — very simple.
Servings: 4 people (2 10″ pizzas or 4 mini pizzas)
- 1 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 package active dry yeast (1/4 oz., which is equal to 1 1/2 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup tepid water
- 2 uncooked pizza crusts (recipe below)
- 1 large yukon gold potato – very thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe – washed, ends trimmed by about 1/4 in.
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 garlic cloves lightly smashed but still intact
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
Dough Directions (courtesy of Silvano Franco’s Pizza book)
- Put flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl and mix.
- Make a well in the center, and add the oil and water. Gradually work in the flour to make a soft dough. Sprinkle with a little four if the mixture feels too sticky, but make sure it is not too dry — dough should be pliable and smooth.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes, sprinkling with flour when needed. Dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Rub some oil over the surface of the dough and return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and leave for about an hour — until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, knocking out the excess air. Dough is now ready to use.
Pizza Directions (Courtesy of Food52):
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Potatoes. Toss thinly sliced potatoes with 1 tsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Arrange potatoes in one layer on a baking tray. Bake until edges begin to turn golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Increase oven temperature to 475 Fahrenheit.
- Broccoli Rabe. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook (blanch) for 30 seconds; drain. Plunge broccoli rabe into a bowl of ice water. Cool and drain again. Lay in one layer on a kitchen towel to thoroughly dry. Cut in 2″ pieces.
- Saute Broccoli Rabe. Heat one Tbs. olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté briefly, 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté one minute. Remove from heat. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Assemble pizzas. Lightly brush pizza crusts with olive oil. Rub all over with smashed garlic cloves.
- Arrange one layer mozzarella cheese over crusts. Top with one layer of potatoes and broccoli rabe. Sprinkle one tablespoon rosemary over each crust. Top with grated Pecorino cheese.
- Bake on pizza stone or on tray on lowest rack in oven until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with fresh rosemary leaves and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.